Skip to main content

Value Our Parents' Well-Being

Parents play a special role in each and everyone of us. They are the heroes of our lives. Their responsibility does not end when we get married and have our own family. Whenever we need them, they’re always there.

I see a lot of grandparents who took the role of their children when it comes to raising their kids because their children are either working abroad or here in the country and some of them were abandoned because the parents of their grandchildren chose to live their own lives with their new family.


Proud hands-on mom to my 3 boys

Sometimes, we tend to neglect their hardships, their sacrifices and we disregard the fact that they also have the right to live their own lives.


My brother and I grew up with both parents working. And when we finally settle down and have our own families, we didn’t pass the obligation of taking care of our kids to our parents because we can see that they are happy enjoying their lives while earning for themselves.

When my dad died, my mom chose to continue working because that’s what she really wants. Though, sometimes I still feel the urge to work and help my husband to provide financially for our family, I do not want to deprive my mom from the things that she wanted to do. I want her to enjoy her life, dine and watch movie with friends and co-workers and take a rest whenever she wants to. I do not want to see her getting tired of chasing my kids and I don’t want to see her suffer with all the stress of attending with the kids’ needs while doing tons of household chores.

They’re done with all of those sacrifices ever since they brought us into this world. It is now time to make them feel that there is something more to life than being a full time homemaker.

We are now living a fast-paced world where our responsibility is getting bigger but let us not escalate the burden of our parents by making them the nanny of our children. Remember, they spent two thirds of their lives to take good care of us. They are done with all the chasing, carrying and dealing with tantrums when we were just kids.

And today, we cannot deny that they are now getting old. We can see their body is getting frail, their bones are getting brittle and they get tired too easily. Yes, they are fond of our kids, they love their apo's, but let us give them the time to rest, to relax and to do the things that they have always wanted to do when they are too busy raising us.

They're not getting any younger. Our children is our own obligation, let us not pass it on to them. If circumstances forbid, better get a nanny so your parents will only look after them. If you want your parents to live a lot longer, give them the privilege to rest and to do whatever that makes them happy.

Remember, it’s not always about the money.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENERGEN: My Tummy's Best Friend

I’ve always had a history of hyper-acidity  (also known as acid dyspepsia) since high school. I don’t know when or how did I get it, all I know is just it’s screwing me for over a decade. I am a slow-gainer. I was very skinny back in my elementary days. My mom let me tried different kinds of vitamins but none of them took effect on me. My dad is an OFW back then and when he comes home he jokingly asks my mom if she’s still feeding her kids because me and my only brother look like bamboo sticks (that’s what our bullies called us because we’re thin and tall) even if we get to eat whatever we want. Maybe we have a fast metabolism which everybody envies about especially now that I have kids already, eating everything that I want and still not getting fat. I remember the times that I’ve been hospitalized because of hyper-acidity. The doctor will always come up to a theory that I might be skipping meals but honestly not. Then he’ll ask me if I drink a lot of soda or coffee and de

What’s the Best Tasting Milk for Pregnant Women?

I just gave birth five months ago. When I was still pregnant, I was given the chance to try three different kinds of milk that is best suitable for pregnant women. Every time I visit my OB-Gynecologist, there was always a sample of milk especially made for pregnant women given by the promo representatives of each milk in the waiting area. I have tried at least three of them and I would like to give you my honest opinions regarding its taste because this kinds of milk are known to have unpleasant taste since it is loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients so it is tend to taste like medicine even if it is flavored.

Discounts and Privileges for the Persons With Disability

It was only last year when I heard about the PWD card that would give the persons with disability (PWD) the privileges entitled for their needs. The local government amended the Republic Act No. 7277, an act for providing for the rehabilitation, self development, and self reliance of persons with disability and their integration into the mainstream of society and for other purposes and otherwise known as The Magna Carta for Disabled Persons, was passed in March 24, 1992. I am a proud mom of a six-year old child with special needs. He is my second child who was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay Syndrome. Ever since he was a baby, we noticed some of his traits on lack of potential at certain points of development that made us confused about what to do so we consulted to a Developmental Pediatrician. He was born as an eight-month premature baby boy, sickly and always in the hospital for a long period of time. We're taking good care of him with unconditional love and