Skip to main content

How Politicians Took Advantage of the Persons With Disabilities During Campaign Period




(Late post)   It happened over a year ago, during election period. But I am certain that this post deserves a spot on my blog. It will touch many people’s hearts and probably call other people’s attention. Let us be more vigilant during these times especially to the families and loved ones of Persons With Disabilities.

During election period, faces of politicians are all over the streets, from fiesta greetings, valentine greetings and graduation day greetings, banners and posters are everywhere. All the electoral candidates are doing everything just to capture everyone’s attention. Campaign rallies happen around the country and their main agenda is to encourage a lot of people from different public sectors to attend and listen to their never ending promises to be able to acquire as many votes as possible.

Let me tell you a story that broke my heart with the reality with regards to election period which involves even the innocent child with special needs and persons with disabilities.


I have a son who was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay Syndrome. He is now studying under SPED. Last December 3, 2012, we were invited by an official of the local MSWD to attend the so called “International PWD Week Celebration” that was held at Kapitolyo. Yes, you read it right, they said that it is going to be a celebration for the persons with disabilities. So, my husband and I, my son, and some of the PWD and special children joined the event with the promise of free food, transportation, and raffle bonanza where we could win lots of prizes. Of course we also expected to receive privileges for PWD.

I think we were more than 40 people on the bus that day. We had a long trip, yes, the food was served   (fried rice and luncheon meat) while we were on our journey. We arrived at around 11am but we were surprised not to see any PWD on the said event. What we saw were politicians and numerous groups of people. We expected to see a banner welcoming the PWD because we all thought that it is an exclusive event for the PWD since they told us that we’re gonna be celebrating the “International PWD Week” but clearly, it didn’t turn out the way we expected.

So, we arrived at the cultural center, not knowing what to do, where to sit and who to talk to. The PWD on wheelchairs and clutches, the blinds, the special children entered the place, not sure where to go because nobody exerted any effort to assist us. What happened was, we sat at the back, occupied the empty chairs and most of us remained standing everywhere. There were few people who told us to transfer our seats for SIX times, obviously there were no seats reserved for us. We really don’t know what to do while we had no choice but to listen to the Governor’s speech. After the speech, he told us that the lunch is about to be served. Then the waiters arranged the round tables near the stage, served the food to some people while we are still at the back remained unrecognized.

Still not sure what to do, what to expect, and plainly, what we are doing on the event. We were actually puzzled why we were all there. Some of the guardians of the PWD went to the tables expecting an invitation to have our lunch, but unfortunately, the person in charge asked for the meal stub which we do not have. We don’t even know that the stub is needed. Obviously, the lunch weren’t for us. Then somebody came and gave us a small piece of siopao each without anything to drink. They served the breakfast while we were on the bus that morning, so we ate it while we’re on our way not expecting that we’re gonna have a siopao for lunch, as well as the kids, while the other groups were eating a scrumptious meal on the round tables.

I was seriously disappointed and felt pity for the PWD who traveled for more than 2 hours just to get that kind of treatment. No one even recognized us when we arrived, nor welcomed us. A lot of politicians spoke, from councilors to mayors of different towns, even the governor, but we haven’t heard anything about PWD while we still keep on thinking that that was my son’s and the rest of the PWD’s special day.

While the event goes on, the lady from the MSWD told us to stay and wait for the raffle bonanza when we don’t have any single raffle ticket with us. What is wrong with those people? Don’t they have the heart inviting those disable persons just to use in a politician’s event like that?

When all of us are already mad, someone came up to us, handed us some “raffle tickets” with the 20pesos amount printed on it. He didn’t ask for payment though, then left us with the words “swertihan lang talaga dyan eh!”

Later on, after waiting again, the raffle started, which we really don’t know what kind of raffle tickets were given to us because they are calling for a four-digit tickets while we have seven-digit raffle tickets! What is happening???! We were so damn hungry, pissed off with super long waiting hours sitting there listening to those people that do not tackle any single matter regarding the PWD, while chasing my hyperactive son who keeps on running around in all sweat.

Then we decided to stand up, hopeless that something favorable to us would happen. We stepped up on the bus, dead tired and starving.

We reached our homes late at night with all the frustrations in our hearts. Honestly, I’ve cried full of regrets for saying “yes, we will come”, because I pity those disabled persons who do not have all the convenience in the world including ourselves who suffered to that kind of exhaustion for nothing where in the first place, we all agreed to be there because we thought that our kids with special needs and the rest of the PWD who were with us could spend their special day at Kapitolyo and expected for special programs intended for them. Unfortunately, we’re all disappointed.

I know that campaign coordinators do exist, who might be the same person behind this situation and he/she might be the one to blame who certainly had monetary commission for every group of people that they were able to gather.

We were misinformed, fooled by those people.
I just want to inform everyone about this matter especially the people responsible for this. We do not want to be neglected ever again nor used by politicians, took pictures of us as evidence that there was a group of persons with disabilities joined their event.

You made us all look doomed on that day wherein supposedly celebrating the Persons With Disabilities special day.  :(


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENERGEN: My Tummy's Best Friend

I’ve always had a history of hyper-acidity  (also known as acid dyspepsia) since high school. I don’t know when or how did I get it, all I know is just it’s screwing me for over a decade. I am a slow-gainer. I was very skinny back in my elementary days. My mom let me tried different kinds of vitamins but none of them took effect on me. My dad is an OFW back then and when he comes home he jokingly asks my mom if she’s still feeding her kids because me and my only brother look like bamboo sticks (that’s what our bullies called us because we’re thin and tall) even if we get to eat whatever we want. Maybe we have a fast metabolism which everybody envies about especially now that I have kids already, eating everything that I want and still not getting fat. I remember the times that I’ve been hospitalized because of hyper-acidity. The doctor will always come up to a theory that I might be skipping meals but honestly not. Then he’ll ask me if I drink a lot of soda or coffee and de

What’s the Best Tasting Milk for Pregnant Women?

I just gave birth five months ago. When I was still pregnant, I was given the chance to try three different kinds of milk that is best suitable for pregnant women. Every time I visit my OB-Gynecologist, there was always a sample of milk especially made for pregnant women given by the promo representatives of each milk in the waiting area. I have tried at least three of them and I would like to give you my honest opinions regarding its taste because this kinds of milk are known to have unpleasant taste since it is loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients so it is tend to taste like medicine even if it is flavored.

Discounts and Privileges for the Persons With Disability

It was only last year when I heard about the PWD card that would give the persons with disability (PWD) the privileges entitled for their needs. The local government amended the Republic Act No. 7277, an act for providing for the rehabilitation, self development, and self reliance of persons with disability and their integration into the mainstream of society and for other purposes and otherwise known as The Magna Carta for Disabled Persons, was passed in March 24, 1992. I am a proud mom of a six-year old child with special needs. He is my second child who was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay Syndrome. Ever since he was a baby, we noticed some of his traits on lack of potential at certain points of development that made us confused about what to do so we consulted to a Developmental Pediatrician. He was born as an eight-month premature baby boy, sickly and always in the hospital for a long period of time. We're taking good care of him with unconditional love and