Skip to main content

One Scary Night for a Mom like me

I thought it was just one of those ordinary tiring days.

Household chores and being a mom to three boys and a small entrepreneur myself have keeping me drained and exhausted most of the time. My day starts at 4am to cook for my eldest who is now in Grade 11, then attend to Joaqui's needs, send him to school at 8:30am, then the rest of my days would be spent in numerous household chores and taking care of my small business.

Every single day is mostly tiring for me. I get a little time for myself at night when the kids are all asleep, normally at around 11pm. It only means I'd be able to do the things that I wanted to do if I would stay up late which I don't have a choice if I need to do something without disturbance. I sometimes get a short nap in the afternoon whenever I had a chance. But overall, I'm lacking of rest and sleep.


That week has been unusual for me. I noticed that I feel weak and get tired so easily even brushing my teeth feels so tiring that I want to sit down immediately after. I always feel dizzy and weak. I also feel this numb, tickling sensation on my palm and cheeks. I have been feeling those symptoms for more than a week already and tried to ignore them thinking that it is still bearable and that it is just over fatigue.


I over estimated my body, kept on ignoring what i feel until one night, everything seems leading to something dangerous already. My difficulty of breathing persists even though I'm just lying on the couch, well rested. The numbness on my palm rising up through my neck and cheeks up to my head. I started to feel scared when I felt the palpitation in my heart and I began to panic.


I suddenly thought about my children, especially Joaqui. I know, no one can take good care of them and love them as much as I do. Hundreds of questions hit me all in one time. Worries had eaten me up, full of anxiety. I forced myself to get up but got dizzy and went back on the couch. I told myself, I need to think straight. I shouldn't give up. I searched for my phone, texted my husband who just arrived at work. I told my eldest to call his Tito (my bro-in-law). I then was brought to the hospital immediately.


All the necessary tests were done. From lab tests to ECG. Everything appeared to be normal except for my low potassium count. I was advised to stay at the hospital but I refused thinking about my kids at home. I was asked to sign a waiver and got discharged.


I also went to a Cardiologist the day after to make sure what really happened. Another tests were done but falls to the same cause.


I eat a lot. I eat on time because I am the type of person who doesn't care about my figure (though really blessed to have fast metabolism) but eating is one of my favorite things to do. I don't like the feeling of being hungry. I eat whatever I want. I just don't eat veggies. I love meat and sweets. I do not want to deprive myself from eating. In fact, I spend a lot with food than clothes. 


I just hate to exercise. I do not enjoy any physical activity ever since as a student. I hate PE. I am not a sporty type of person, but give me something to read, you'll see my enthusiasm.


The doctors told me the do's and dont's. Prescribed me a multivitamins, told me to eat lots of banana and watermelon because it is a great source of potassium, exercise everyday and most importantly, take a rest.


I see myself as a brave woman. I look at myself as strong and independent. But honestly? That was the scariest night of my life. No, I don't fear for my life. I am not scared of death. I was scared for my kids, for my family. Because I couldn't imagine their lives without me. I have a 16 year-old son who needs my guidance. I have a 3 year-old youngest son who still clings on my nape to be able to fall asleep. And.... I have Joaqui. He is the most vulnerable child that God has entrusted me with. He has a lot of special needs which I know no one can willingly attend to except from me and his Papa. Even the nearest relatives wouldn't go out of their way to take care of him. Well, that's life. This is how it is. I already accepted the fact that no one can love him as much as we do. And that is the main reason why I still want to live. I want to live healthy and strong to be able to take good care of them. I still want to be their mom.


I said the most fervent prayer of my life. I begged the Lord for my strength, for the continuity of my life until the day that they don't need me anymore. I asked the Lord to please don't take me away for my kids. Not yet. Not this early.


Today, I feel better already. I started to take care of myself more. To be more careful of what I eat. And I'm learning to take a moment to rest. I need to be strong, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually to be an effective mom, wife, sister and daughter for my family.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENERGEN: My Tummy's Best Friend

I’ve always had a history of hyper-acidity  (also known as acid dyspepsia) since high school. I don’t know when or how did I get it, all I know is just it’s screwing me for over a decade. I am a slow-gainer. I was very skinny back in my elementary days. My mom let me tried different kinds of vitamins but none of them took effect on me. My dad is an OFW back then and when he comes home he jokingly asks my mom if she’s still feeding her kids because me and my only brother look like bamboo sticks (that’s what our bullies called us because we’re thin and tall) even if we get to eat whatever we want. Maybe we have a fast metabolism which everybody envies about especially now that I have kids already, eating everything that I want and still not getting fat. I remember the times that I’ve been hospitalized because of hyper-acidity. The doctor will always come up to a theory that I might be skipping meals but honestly not. Then he’ll ask me if I drink a lot of soda or coffee and de

What’s the Best Tasting Milk for Pregnant Women?

I just gave birth five months ago. When I was still pregnant, I was given the chance to try three different kinds of milk that is best suitable for pregnant women. Every time I visit my OB-Gynecologist, there was always a sample of milk especially made for pregnant women given by the promo representatives of each milk in the waiting area. I have tried at least three of them and I would like to give you my honest opinions regarding its taste because this kinds of milk are known to have unpleasant taste since it is loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients so it is tend to taste like medicine even if it is flavored.

Discounts and Privileges for the Persons With Disability

It was only last year when I heard about the PWD card that would give the persons with disability (PWD) the privileges entitled for their needs. The local government amended the Republic Act No. 7277, an act for providing for the rehabilitation, self development, and self reliance of persons with disability and their integration into the mainstream of society and for other purposes and otherwise known as The Magna Carta for Disabled Persons, was passed in March 24, 1992. I am a proud mom of a six-year old child with special needs. He is my second child who was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay Syndrome. Ever since he was a baby, we noticed some of his traits on lack of potential at certain points of development that made us confused about what to do so we consulted to a Developmental Pediatrician. He was born as an eight-month premature baby boy, sickly and always in the hospital for a long period of time. We're taking good care of him with unconditional love and