Skip to main content

One Manic and Tragic Monday


Today marks my first month and 19th day since the motorcycle accident. I’ve had 21 surgical staples and 13 stitches on my left foot that underwent surgical debridement.

Life is unpredictable. We’ll never know what’s gonna happen next. Anything can change in a blink of an eye, in a snap of a finger. Our lives can turn upside down in a millisecond. Ironic at times. Full of surprises. Expect the unexpected.


3 days before the accident :(

Monday, 5am. I received a text message from Joaqui’s school service that he will not be able to fetch Joaqui for 2 weeks because he’s sick.

Okay, I’m doomed. I didn’t anticipate this since I’ve been caught up with loads of household works, my printing deadline, the demands in spreads, not to mention that my youngest Miguel is acting up in school and he doesn’t want me to leave. I also have a spine problem so I wasn’t allowed to carry anything heavy and has been told to avoid long walks.

I’m spending a couple of hours every week practicing to learn how to ride a motorcycle for a few weeks already and with my husband’s guidance, I’m doing great sabi nya. In a scale of 1 to 10, I am at 6 and I was really determined to get better and better everyday.

I decided to pursue to ride the motorcycle on my own because it would be more convenient for us especially now that I need to send and fetch Joaqui to and from school. I think I can, I’ve got a strong feeling that I can do it.

November 20, 2017. Monday, 12:30pm. I tried to drive around the village on my own, without my husband on my back. I know I need to learn and I know I can. Okay, I am over-confident at times and I’ve got this attitude that if I really want something, I’ll do anything to get it. Go getter.

It is my first time to ride a motorcycle on my own. I’m wearing this half proud half nervous smile when I get the keys, get my phone, and start the engine. On the first 10 seconds of driving, I only got one thing in mind. I need to be good at it, I need to learn, because Joaqui needs me. This is gonna be the most convenient mode of transportation for the two of us.

Two minutes away from the house, my nervousness escalated because there is a kid playing at the middle of the road, running back and forth. I stopped, hit the horn and he stepped aside. I trusted my gut feeling that the kid wouldn't run again, I grabbed the hand grip, and accelerated. Just a millisecond, the kid started to run toward my direction again. I got scared that I might hit him so my first instinct is to turn left where there is a parked tricycle. Everything happened so fast. My motorcycle hit the back of the side car where my left foot scraped on a hard metal part of the tricycle. I got off-balanced and fell down. I didn’t feel any kind of pain at the moment. All I can feel is the heavy motorcycle on top of my left leg.

I couldn’t stand up, I couldn’t take the motorcycle off my feet. Nobody tried to get near me inspite of the few people around who saw the accident. My first instinct is to get my phone and call my husband. I’m shaking but I managed to call him and tell him what happened. I wasn’t aware that my foot looks that worse till I was able to have a glance on it after the call. What I saw are bones. A scraped foot, too deep that my bones are actually visible. I suddenly felt dizzy. My head feels heavy. A couple of minutes later, two people came to me and carry me to the side of the road. Then a bunch of curious people came trying to calm me down.





I know. 😢

It was just 2 minutes away from our house. 💔

My husband is half walking half running, pale, catching his breath. Looked at me with a nervous eyes but didn’t touch me. It seems like he didn’t know what to do. After looking at my foot, he suddenly told me to wait, he’ll go back to get some clothes and money.
Somebody called a Barangay vehicle and brought me to the nearest hospital.


Nov. 20, 2017. 2pm

I wasn’t aware that my foot looks that horrible until I get a closer look when the doctor removed the improvised bandage that someone put before bringing me to the hospital. I was speechless. Teary-eyed, nervous, anxious. If I can only take back 2 minutes of my time, I wouldn’t dare to get the keys and leave home. No matter how I tried to convince myself that I’m only dreaming, I couldn’t. This is happening. This is actually happening.


few hours before the surgery
2 weeks after the surgery

After the operation, I stayed for 4 days at the hospital. Those 4 days felt like 4 months away from home. I’ve got nothing in mind but the kids. I couldn't eat, I coudn't sleep. I was just crying the whole time while wishing it's only a dream. I know it's gonna be harder for us when I got home because everything's on us. But I’ve got only one wish. I really wanted to go home and see my kids.

This is the biggest challenge that life has given me before my 2017 ends.

Justice League Movie Date ☺
And I carried it through on the first month of 2018. Hopefully, I’d be able to get a normal walk again next month. 95% loading.😂 Konting konti na lang.☺ I learned my lesson the hard way. Wether it is to listen to the husband when he said NO, or do not be too confident to drive a vehicle on my own.😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENERGEN: My Tummy's Best Friend

I’ve always had a history of hyper-acidity  (also known as acid dyspepsia) since high school. I don’t know when or how did I get it, all I know is just it’s screwing me for over a decade. I am a slow-gainer. I was very skinny back in my elementary days. My mom let me tried different kinds of vitamins but none of them took effect on me. My dad is an OFW back then and when he comes home he jokingly asks my mom if she’s still feeding her kids because me and my only brother look like bamboo sticks (that’s what our bullies called us because we’re thin and tall) even if we get to eat whatever we want. Maybe we have a fast metabolism which everybody envies about especially now that I have kids already, eating everything that I want and still not getting fat. I remember the times that I’ve been hospitalized because of hyper-acidity. The doctor will always come up to a theory that I might be skipping meals but honestly not. Then he’ll ask me if I drink a lot of soda or coffee and de

What’s the Best Tasting Milk for Pregnant Women?

I just gave birth five months ago. When I was still pregnant, I was given the chance to try three different kinds of milk that is best suitable for pregnant women. Every time I visit my OB-Gynecologist, there was always a sample of milk especially made for pregnant women given by the promo representatives of each milk in the waiting area. I have tried at least three of them and I would like to give you my honest opinions regarding its taste because this kinds of milk are known to have unpleasant taste since it is loaded with vitamins and essential nutrients so it is tend to taste like medicine even if it is flavored.

Discounts and Privileges for the Persons With Disability

It was only last year when I heard about the PWD card that would give the persons with disability (PWD) the privileges entitled for their needs. The local government amended the Republic Act No. 7277, an act for providing for the rehabilitation, self development, and self reliance of persons with disability and their integration into the mainstream of society and for other purposes and otherwise known as The Magna Carta for Disabled Persons, was passed in March 24, 1992. I am a proud mom of a six-year old child with special needs. He is my second child who was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delay Syndrome. Ever since he was a baby, we noticed some of his traits on lack of potential at certain points of development that made us confused about what to do so we consulted to a Developmental Pediatrician. He was born as an eight-month premature baby boy, sickly and always in the hospital for a long period of time. We're taking good care of him with unconditional love and